10 August 2010

you can't take it with you...

so i was just checking yahoo for top articles and came across this one...

http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/110275/but-will-it-make-you-happy
its about downsizing what we have and living more simply.
the couple in the article take that to the extreme, living with a mere 100 personal items.
but for the rest of us, it is food for thought.

lately i have been trying to clean & organize everything i own, and it has been a challenge to say the least. justin & i have gotten rid of tons of stuff, and have posted many other things on ksl classifieds. i have found how refreshing it really is to de-clutter and get rid of the things we don't need. it almost killed me to give away some of my old clothes & shoes & such. but it has been a few weeks and the only thought i had about those clothes was "how did i ever fit all that crap in my closet before?" and "its so nice to have the extra space. now i can actually SEE the clothes i wanna wear!".

i have also paid better attention to the things i buy. i went on a shopping trip to the gateway with my girlfriends and i didn't buy anything. how did that happen? i do not know.

anyway, i continue to rid myself of excess items that i do not need or want. 
let it be a challenge to us all!

3 comments:

Kylie Blackwell said...

YES! I live by this. Brandon and I are clutter freaks! Also having such big dreams for being such young people, we figure the only way we are going to get where we want to be and not have a lot of debt is to have NO credit cards and save every penny. Sometimes I really hate that I deny myself what seems like so much but to see that savings grow, I see so many opportunities for my little family grow with it and that makes it all worth while! Thank goodness for birthdays.
It's not easy to save but for us to start the habit now and tell ourselves NO just makes it easier the next time. I like your thinkin Lyss!

Valerie Hall said...

I go through and get rid of stuff almost every single month. I can't handle clutter at all, I just did it again yesterday. It does feel so good everytime!

Kelsey M. said...

i have been meaning to go through my closet for quite some time. i don't wear half the stuff that's in there. and now i have even more inspiration :)
ugh...saving is so hard. but so important. such a challenge. thanks for sharing this!