16 March 2010

{ 18 March 2010 }

Today was my due date. It came as no surprise to me that I would be blogging today. Why? Because at my doctor appointment today, my cervix was still dilated to somewhere between 1/2 and 1 centimeter, which is what I have been for the last two weeks. 

Of course, upon hearing this news, I began to cry, against my will. I knew I wouldn't deliver on time but this news meant I would have to wait another week and a half, at which point I would be induced and face hours upon hours of painful labor, perhaps resulting in a C-Section if my body wouldn't cooperate. I felt the likelihood of this scenario was pretty good.

Dear Doctor Watabe, upon seeing my tears, offered me a tissue and had an alternative solution to my stubborn body. He explained the first scenario that I could face. Then he said that he could perform a C-Section Thursday morning. I always talked big about getting a C but sort of figured that in the end my body would cooperate enough to deliver normally. My doctor explained that he still only performs C-Sections on about 15% of his patients, which is average, but that he does suggest it at times when he feels his patients would be better off scheduling one.

Of course best case scenario would be to start labor on my own and deliver normally. That would mean a fairly easy recovery, less expensive, and that's what our bodies were made to do. We both felt the likelihood of having this scenario was a bit beyond my reach. He said that the second best scenario would be a planned C-Section for me since I am not dilating like I should. He also reassured me that the recovery for a planned C-Section is easier than recovering from a difficult labor and delivery or a difficult labor followed by a C-Section. 

So, needless to say, I am pretty stoked that my appointment is made and that by this time Thursday, I will be recovering from surgery and holding my baby.

I am also nervous of course. Nervous for the surgery and nervous to be a mommy. But I am incredibly blessed with the best husband anyone would wish for and amazing friends and family ready to help out. 

It is weird to think that tomorrow is my last day as a pregnant. Ha ha it has been fun, but I think I am ready to call it good. 

And Val, Emerson, and Madden are coming up this weekend for the birth! I am so happy they are making the long journey for me, and I am so excited to see them. I wish I would be feeling well enough to actually hang out with Val but it will be so cool to have her here when Ezra is still so new.

Well, those are my thoughts from today. I am relieved to not have to worry about timing my lame contractions anymore, and to be able to clean my house one last time. (I've been keeping it pretty clean these past few weeks, just in case. But tomorrow I can put everything in its place and know that I will come home to a clean house!) Thanks for listening (reading). I will shut up now. And next time I write, I will have a baby boy! (Unless I get bored tomorrow...) 

3 comments:

Logan said...

I am so excited for you! I will be thinking of you Thursday morning! I love you!

amanda said...

I'm excited too! I like the pictures on the side bar. And thanks for the explanation...I kinda wondered why they wouldn't induce you but I was thinking the same reason why you aren't being induced. love you! can't wait!

p.s. i had a dream you text us at like 4 to say you had your baby after all...and i think it was a girl. interesting dream, at least.

Kelsey M. said...

yeah lyss! you'll be in our prayers for sure. we are so excited for you. i hope everything goes well! we don't wanna bombard you but we would looove to visit in the hospital. i'll keep in contact with chels & your mom. good luck my dear! p.s.-you'll be the best mommy ever. i was thinking last night about how scared i am to be a mom. not that its anytime soon but ya know. you're awesome, i love yooou!