02 September 2013

Breastfeeding.


Breastfeeding. 

Agh! Why is it such a controversial subject? I know there have been dozens of popular blog posts on the subject and those get circulated around Facebook and whatnot but really, what's all the fuss about? 

Let me begin by sharing something about me: I was a "formula mom" with my first baby. I was. I breastfed him the first time I held him but after that I just couldn't (and didn't really care to) get the hang of it after that. So I pumped for a few months and then switched to formula. That was what worked for me at the time I had Ezra, and I am fine with my choices. 
 
I know breastfeeding doesn't work for everyone. I don't judge moms who give formula. I've given formula. It can be a really great option and I'm so thankful for its existence. The purpose of this post is not to make "formula moms" feel bad, but hopefully it will inspire some moms who would like to possibly breastfeed but aren't sure if they can or would want to. 

See, I was scared to breastfeed. I'd heard enough horror stories of engorgement, sore or bleeding nipples, sobbing through feedings, and on and on to make me scared to try. I'd also heard enough about lack of supply, oversupply, not latching baby, etc etc. to believe that even if I wanted to breastfeed, my body probably wouldn't produce enough milk or something would prevent me from breastfeeding. 

I learned a lot during my second pregnancy. I learned to believe in myself and to trust my body to do what it was made to do. Giving birth TERRIFIED me. Like, to an unreasonable point. But I learned to trust my body and I overcame some fears. I went from having a basically-elective-but-doctor-advised cesarean with my first to having a completely natural birth with my second. My body amazed me. I was amazed what control my mind had over my body. Using hypnobabies techniques I was able to relax my body to not feel pain with contractions. Pressure for sure, but no pain. 

The results I got from overcoming my fear of giving birth and trusting my body inspired me to trust my body to nourish my baby. I began breastfeeding Colter using correct techniques and with the confidence that I could give him everything he needed to thrive. I have come so far from that scared 20 year old with a new baby. I am now almost 24, have been breastfeeding my second baby for the past six months and he has never had an ounce of baby formula (not that formula is bad!). I just never thought I would be able to do this. And look at me doing this! Amazing. 



I've decided to compile a list of what I've learned I love about breastfeeding: 

1.  No purchasing formula / bottles / bottle warmers, etc. 

2. No washing bottles / cleaning up formula powder caked onto the counter

3. The amazing connection I feel with my baby and the amazing nourishment he receives from me

Now, for the more superficial (/ important) benefits: (lol)

4. I haven't been on birth control for, like, almost two years. I still exclusively breastfeed so there's no need for much birth control

5. I haven't had a menstrual cycle for over a year (so far!)

6. Since I'm still eating for two and need to eat so my baby can eat, I don't need to fast on Fast Sunday (not that I was that great at fasting anyways.. but that's beside the point) 

7. My boobs are finally a decent size (haha, they're still small but I don't mind)

I would be remiss if I excluded the downsides to breastfeeding, however: 

1. Sometimes I just want to clock out, hand him to Justin and say "good luck!" and go to sleep / shopping / Relief Society / wherever which I can totally do unless he is hungry

2. Wakes more frequently during the night (Ezra was sleeping through the night sometimes at 6 months and Colter doesn't seem anywhere near that)

3. Sometimes it IS uncomfortable. Wether it be a rare change in supply which leads to engorgement or Colter pulling my hair and scratching me while nursing

But even reading those "downsides", they are really kind of positive. I love that I'm the "one" who can feed him. I enjoy sleep but I don't mind that he needs me at night, too. And how long is he actually going to cause me some discomfort from breastfeeding? I mean really, half a year has already gone by. Another six months (or however long) and I'll be done breastfeeding him for good. And who knows if I will have another baby? 

I'm the most surprised of us all: I LOVE BREASTFEEDING. And he will be done with it way too soon. 

So, here's what I've learned:

1. It can be challenging the first few weeks to learn and for your supply to stabilize. But it gets better. So much better. And after that you'll be feeling sorry for moms who have to deal with formula. 

2. Covering up isn't that important. It took me a few months to get comfortable and confident about breastfeeding in public but now I feel like an old pro. Breasts aren't offensive. They aren't bad. They feed babies. So I'm not going to flaunt them, or breastfeed on a pedestal, but if I need to feed my baby I'm going to feed him, wherever I may be. 

3. I HATE those stupid nursing covers. I could never get them to hang right on me, Colter hated having them on his head, and I feel they draw way more attention to the woman using them than if you go without. My opinion. But seriously, we all need to stop being so obsessed with sexualizing boobs. They're for babies. And honestly I feel that if more moms would breastfeed openly that we as a society would have less of a problem with pornography. But that's another subject for another day. :) 

That's my spiel. Breasts are best but they're also the biological norm. I'm thankful I can breastfeed. I believe it is much easier and more doable than you think. So if you feel so inclined, give it a try. But if not, you are not to worry. Every family and situation is different. As always in parenthood: DO WHAT WORKS FOR YOU. 

xoxo
lyss


1 comment:

amanda said...

Great post!! I agree about everything. I think I will be sad when breast feeding is over. Whatever works, man!!