Having your kids at home is never really easy. At his age he wants to either run around outside or sit inside and read books when he can't be outside. He won't play with any of his toys besides his basketball hoop and even then he wants me to be in the room. I walk out and he follows.
It makes me wonder what my ancestors went through with their kids at this age. Were there walls to ruin with markers? Televisions to ruin with baseball bats? Outlets to stick their little fingers into? Busy streets with cars driving on them? It seems there wouldn't be much to yell at your kids about, but I could be wrong. All of these modern day conveniences just don't seem to mesh well with youngsters. But I do know that Ezra has never been happier than when we were living in the mountains, in a simple cabin, with nothing that could really hurt him or anything he could really break. No busy streets to run out into, no TVs to turn on or off. Being out there just seemed so simple. It made me understand how our ancestors didn't really have much but were happy because of the simplicity, not in spite of it. They didn't need to buy their kids hundreds of toys, or movies, or anything really. The kids were perfectly happy with what they had. The rocks and the trees and the water were their toys. It occurred to me that maybe kids were made to live close to the outdoors. Were not intended to be smothered with all these modern, fun things that we buy for them these days. Maybe the best thing I can do for ez is let him enjoy the outdoors a little bit more instead of getting frustrated when he refuses to play with any of the toys I have bought for him. I know it seems a little crazy but seriously, it's how kids have lived since the beginning of earth. Sure they might have a few toys that someone made but I'm sure for the most part they just wanted to explore the world around them. With a constant stream of instant entertainment as the norm, it's no wonder so many more people have ADHD these days.
Like I said, I may be crazy. And I know I said a lot of stuff but it's all just kind of jumbled in my brain, but does anyone get what I'm trying to say?
Oh and yes, here are the pictures: :)
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone
5 comments:
I love your thoughts. And I definitely think you are right.. those things really aren't necessary to our happiness but we forget that and have made those things all so important in our lives. Its good to try & focus on what is really best for us & our {future} children {in my case}. Thanks for the reminder lyss :)
I totally get what you are saying lyss. Love you guys!
love the radical idea...and I actually don't think it's that radical. :) you are though! we need to play soon. I'll be back from vacations at the end of August...I believe we have a swim date??
I like that idea Lyss, I love spending time outdoors and I know I will force my kids to be outside as much as possible when I have them someday. :) loved the pics too. Especially the one where he is wearing the hoodie and red long johns so cute!
love the pictures and completely get what you're saying, great post!
Post a Comment