18 March 2016

To Ezra on his 6th birthday

Ezra my love! Happy birthday. You are so excited to be turning six today, you were almost in tears earlier this week because you just. Couldn't. Wait. I'm so happy to be here to celebrate your birth with you. Being your mom I have so much to say to you, so many feelings to express, but instead of trying to explain that to you today, I'll write (tap?) it all down so we can both read it later. I'm sure if you saw me right now you'd ask why I was crying, and give me a hug, and sincerely try to understand me and how I'm feeling. That's the kind of boy you are. 

You've been dying to open your presents for days and are planning on opening a few when you wake up this morning (only because I won't let you open ALL of them right at 7 am). This year you have asked for three things and three things only: a snorkel, a boomerang, and... a soccer ball maybe? Pregnancy brain, man. But I do hope your day meets your expectations. Remember last year when you woke up (way) before everyone and went downstairs in our townhome and opened every last present while we were all still asleep? Ha. Glad that won't happen this year. 

What can I say about you, ez? Six years ago today you made me become a mom. I fell in love with you and that love has only grown since then. (And you know how easy it is to love adorable, perfect newborns right??). So let me tell you a little about you, from my perspective, as you start your life as a six year old. 

You love kindergarten. You like doing your homework. You had the best math score of all the kindergarteners at your school (no surprise there, you've always loved and been great with numbers). You're getting so much better at reading (though you act like you can't read). Your teacher tells me how considerate you are and how you're always listening and on task. You're second tallest in your class behind Drew (who, turns out, is actually a full year older than you). You love to wear shorts now that winter is mostly gone, even on cold days. "Comfy clothes" are what you wear as much as possible (basketball shorts and a t-shirt) though you look rather handsome in a dress shirt and tie (which I finally learned how to tie recently, for your job fair in which you chose to be a dad). Later when I told you you can be a dad AND something else, you said you'd probably want to be an animal scientist. 

You know everything there is to know about animals. You're great at playing darts and love to play that and foosball at nanas house. You love learning about earth science (and can go quite a long time watching short national geographic videos (not on the kids site) about earthquakes and tornadoes, etc etc. You just love to learn. You love playing sports (especially basketball and soccer recently) and are quite good at them. You started wrestling for the first time last Fall and never gave up despite the tough learning curve of it. You didn't really mind when you lost; it didn't get you down. You only won 1 tournament match the whole season (though were painfully close to winning more) and you still loved it. I really admire that about you. 

You're a homebody. Everyday after school you want to come home and play with your friends (Noah and Everett from next door). You like being a helper around the house as long as we can get you excited about it, like giving you the title of "table washer" but for the most part you don't enjoy cleaning up. You're good at cleaning the bathrooms and sometimes if I'm lucky you will join me in a "15 minute pickup challenge" but if there wasn't timing or competition involved you aren't likely to be interested in participating. 

You are a good older brother to Colter. Yesterday after dinner your dad and I found you and colter laying in his bed and you were reading to him your book of reptiles and answering all of his questions. Sometimes you'll come up to my pregnant belly and put your face next to it and greet your future little brother. Melts my heart, I tell ya. And so weird that it's at the perfect height for you to hug when you're standing there. You seem so much older than six. It's really not fair. 

You eat so much food. You love fruits and vegetables. Corn on the cob is your number one favorite food item. You love celery, cucumbers, strawberries, pineapple, grapes, apples. You always get the green table wear and colter gets blue. You love drinking milk and chocolate milk, juices, and sports drinks. You still won't eat carrots from years back when you threw some up. You like candy and sweets but aren't obsessed with them (cough cough colter cough). 

We get along for the most part. I feel like I've been a crazy person, especially  in my last semester of my BFA program where I am so busy with school and doing client photography work part time and still trying to be a good mom. I'm not as nice or patient as I should be and I yell way more than I'd care to admit. Dad calls me "zero to sixty" and I don't love that title, though it's true. Sometimes you go 0-60 too and I will take the blame for it. Sorry I have taught you to yell and not be patient-- I'll work on that. But hopefully you've also inherited some of my good qualities though right? Fingers crossed. 

You like to point out my sarcasm (and are getting good at detecting it). You'll say things like "you're just being mean, right?" Or when I first told you I was being sarcastic about something, you whispered "that means mean." Oh ez, you make me want to be a better person and I don't know how I got so lucky to be your mom. Thanks for letting me. 

Ezra doing his VIP presentation at school. Still nervous in front of groups but getting more confident. Loved helping choose which pictures to post on his poster and insisted on writing his own name. 

 Ezra holding his niece Taelyn, oh my gosh his face. 

Extremely happy at his annual checkup having once again dodged the bullet of needing shots. 

Hogle Zoo Carousel. 

SELFIE!! Dying over how sweet you are. You'll sometimes grab my phone and take pictures (of yourself and us) and I always like going back and looking through them. 

Anyway, ez. I better try to get some sleep again. Colter came in my room around 4:30 and had peed the bed (a rarity for him) and so I was up thinking about you and feeling a little unsure about having three sons and no daughters (where everyone in my family will have at least one daughter... Jury's still out on ry though) and then realized how lucky I am to have you and your brother(s) as my sons and got all emotional about it and blah blah blah here I am almost two hours later. So lucky to have you. Hope you know that. 

Xoxo,
Mom


No comments: